Here’s a really neat spring project you can make using recycled wire hangers. I know, you should return them to the dry cleaner.. but why when you can make pretty flowers and dragonflies to decor your garden instead? Plus, you get the added benefit of making a pretty piece of art using a bit of recycled materials, Yay You! You can make any shape you’d like, just keep in mind that bending the hanger wire is an acquired skill that takes a little patience and practice.
Supplies you’ll need:
Make sure the supplies you use can withstand the elements as you’ll be placing these outside.
- Wire clothing hangers
- Metal jewelry wire in a variety of colors
- Glass gems
- Wire cutters for the jewelry wire
– Tip: to cut the hanger wire, bend back and forth until it snaps. I did not cut any hangers in these examples.
How to make wire garden art:
- Remove any paper and straighten out your clothing wire. Don’t worry about the very end where the wire twists from manufacturing, you can incorporate this into your art design.
- Carefully bend wire into desired shape. A trick to quick bending is use the flattest surface of your thumb to guide the bend you’re working on. Make sure to leave a port of the wire straight as the “stick” of the garden art piece.
- Using jewelry wire, wrap and secure joining sections of hanger.
- Use jewelry wire to wrap and secure gems in desired locations and embellish with wire accents.